BREAKING NEWS

Savvy's Corner: Old age vs technology


Dad had sent me to the bank one day to pay in some money. I got dressed by 9am and walked into a branch of the UBA bank around my neighbourhood. On entering the bank, there was this long queue of customers waiting to be attended to. I quickly grabbed a teller and walked to the last person on the queue. 'Good morning Ma, you're the last person on the queue right?' the woman turned to me and pointed to a group of old women sitting close to the customer care service... 'They’re behind me' I acknowledged and joined the line hoping to outsmart the old women.

 After some minutes I was getting close to the front of the counter when the old women walked into the queue, angry customers behind me shouting and swearing 'because you're old you'll just come and chance somebody', 'why did you let them enter your front?' it's your chance they're using'.....

The first old woman got to the counter and was having a little argument with the cashier, the other two joined her and they were all arguing. Soon enough customers started complaining.

The cashier, a young Yoruba man in his early 30's called me and said "please, help me. I don't understand what mama is saying". Then I asked the woman what she wanted and she started speaking igbo "asima yem ofu akp'ego na mbiribo nime ego Chijioke nwam ziyem n'afo gara aga" (I said he should give me N300 from the money my son Chijioke sent for me last year...) I had to hold myself from laughing, who would tell mama that she can't get N300 via counter...lol

I told the cashier and he checked her account details on his computer only to discover that mama's account has been blocked! Hehe... who would translate that to mama? I passed my teller to the cashier and soon enough I was walking out of the bank premises while mama and her friends were still at the counter.... I couldn't begin to imagine the stress she would go through to get her account to be active again. Talk more of registering her sim card when most of this old people don't even know their number by heart.... bottom line is go to school when you can and be willing to learn.

I guess i've passed my message...

©Savvy A.R.C

Share this:

Post a Comment

 
Back To Top
Copyright © 2014 Welcome to SAMBISA. Designed by OddThemes